Project Title: SIADD – Innovative solutions for the quality and sustainability of ADDitive manufacturing processes
Start Date: 01 July 2019 / End Date: 31 December 2022
Funded Under: PON “RICERCA E INNOVAZIONE” 2014 – 2020 E FSC
Coordinator: Aerospace Technology District (DTA) scarl – Brindisi (BR);
Implementing members: GE AVIO Srl; Enginsoft SpA; ENEA – Brindisi; CNR – ITIA (Institute of Industrial Technologies and Automation) – Bari, Milan; University of Salento – Lecce.
Co-Proponents: Polytechnic of Bari – Bari; Polytechnic of Milan – Milan; HB Technology Srl – Taranto (TA); ELFIM srl – Gravina in Puglia (BA); Novotech srl – Avetrana (TA); Umbra Group Cuscinetti S.p.A; Kore University of Enna – Enna.
SIADD project aims to improve the Additive Manufacturing processes of metallic and composite materials limited by low productivity and high costs. Moreover, the pieces, nowadays, so produced have high residual stresses and low quality – i.e., low repeatability, precision, and finish.
The number of materials processed with the Additive Manufacturing techniques is still small. It is also limited the awareness about production technologies and post-treatment effects. Also, the experience is still missing about the machining operations to finish a component into a finished product.
SIADD aims, also, to study economics, environmental, and socio sustainability of the AM process. Hence, the quality of the finished products and the process efficiency will measure the economic aspects. The production of pollutants or the consumption of resources will measure the environmental aspects. The operational well-being and process safety will measure the socio-organizational aspects.
Hence, the final goal of the project is to overcome all the gaps which still lie in the Additive Manufacturing process.
- Optimization of heat treatments on TiAL turbine blades made by electron beam melting
- In-situ SLM monitoring
- In-situ DMLD monitoring
- Development of design methodologies for the realization of metal components in “Architectured Materials.”
- Development of components with AM processes (AFP / CFF) for composite materials
- Development of processes for weight reduction and performance increase in marine and aeronautical fields
- Analysis of the environmental, economic and organizational sustainability of the SLM / DMLD / EBM / CF-APP processes
- Evaluation, technology transfer and dissemination
The SIADD results will be usable in the aeronautical, space, marine, and mechanical sectors.
The development of predictive models is still unexplored, so it can represent plenty of space for innovation. The same happens for the production of complex geometric products which is almost limitless, considering the AM potentialities.
There will be new design principles, manufacturing guidelines, and/or best practices. The same will be for the technologies and materials, to date, being used.
SIADD will provide appropriate tools to support the design of Additive Manufacturing processes. There will be a significant degree of innovation in the methodologies, thus improving its performance. There will be a threefold advantage in designing with AM: i.e., (i) reduction of the development time for products, (ii) improved mechanical performance, and (iii) reduced costs.
- To contribute to the competitiveness of the territorial aerospace system. New solutions will be developed to increase effectiveness and efficiency. Effectiveness – i.e., new knowledge and new potential products. Efficiency – i.e., new organizational and relationship models and new production processes;
- Promote the aggregation between actors from different worlds (universities, research centers, companies). The aim is to increase their knowledge and the development of new relationships. The latter must go beyond the traditional customer/supplier relationship. Hence, it is necessary to create a network of relationships beyond the objectives of the project;
- To encourage each partner to develop new knowledge and new skills (intangible values). At the same time, to increase their assets in technological infrastructures and operational tools (tangible values);
- To promote both the knowledge obtained (i.e., scientific publications, seminars, and workshops, etc.) and the Consortium built, via dissemination and valorization activities. The aim is to present – on the national and international market – industrial skills of the Apulian aerospace system;
- To promote the acquisition/filing of patents, both for products and processes and in this way, increasing the value of the Apulian system.